Attention All Genealogy Researchers
Virginia Vital Records Databases Now Available!
We thought you would like to know that Ancestry has added several new Virginia vital records databases to its collection. You may access the databases through the library’s subscription to Ancestry Library, available at any branch library.
Here are some helpful hints:
- Virginia Births, Marriages, Divorces, and Deaths are included in these vital records.
- Several years of records are covered in each database; however, some years include an image of the certificate, while others are an index to the record information.
- In the index-only records, there are names, dates, and instructions about ordering certified copies of the records through the Virginia Department of Health.
Access (Fauquier County Public Library):
Access the following list of the records when using one of the library’s public computers or WiFi connection:
- Virginia Birth Records Index, 1864-2014 (certificate images for years 1864-1913)
- Virginia Marriage Records Index, 1936-2014 (certificate images for years 1936-1988)
- Virginia Divorce Records Index, 1918-2014 (certificate images for 1918-1988)
- Virginia Death Records Index, 1912-2014 (certificate images for years 1912-1987)
Access (Home Subscription):
If you can’t make it to the library, you can access these records at home with your personal subscription. To search from your personal account:
- Go to www.ancestry.com and enter your subscription information;
- On the Ancestry search page, hover over the Search tab and click on Card Catalog;
- In the Card Catalog, under title, type in any of these titles to search each database individually (unfortunately, there is no way to search all four databases at once):
- Virginia Birth Records (look for Virginia Birth Records, 1864-2014)
- Virginia Marriage Records (look for Virginia Marriage Records, 1936-2014)
- Virginia Divorce Records (look for Virginia Divorce Records, 1918-2014)
- Virginia Death Records (look for Virginia Death Records, 1912-2014)
Tips for Searching:
- Click on the database to search the vital records;
- If you type in an approximate date of the vital event, the drop down +/- year menu will pop up and allow you to choose a range of years.
Mary Sue, Adult Reference, Bealeton branch library
Need help with your research? Email a librarian or call the Adult Reference Desk at (540) 422-8500 ext. 6862.